Viewing galleries from March, 2016
Paul's very pleasant walk along part of the Wey & Arun canal, also known as London's lost route to the sea.
We heard one of the first chiffchaffs of spring singing near Devil's Hole Lock. Trust he spent a pleasant winter in the Mediterranean.
Sometimes a bit muddy but a flat 5 mile wander from Loxwood. Back to the Onslow Arms where the girl behind the bar deserved a medal as she coped with walkers and cyclists en masse.
In the 19th century it was possible to travel by boat from London to Littlehampton on the south coast of England via Weybridge, Guildford, Pulborough and Arundel. This was just part of a once-extensive system of inland waterways covering England and Wales.The route was via the rivers Wey and Arun, linked betweenShalford in Surrey, and Pallingham in Sussex, by the 23-mile Wey and Arun Canal.Although only one part of an extensive system, the Wey and Arun Canal formed a vital link, the only one between the south coast and the Thames, linking London and the busy river Thames with the English Channel - and beyond.
River Arun, c1900.The river Wey was made navigable from Weybridge to Guildford in 1653, and extended to Godalming 90 years later. The Arun has existed as a tidal navigation as far inland as Pallingham Quay, near Pulborough, since 1575. Thanks to www.weyandarun.co.uk for this information
Nice walk by Jennifer - cold wind on top of the hills but warmer in the valleys.
Much of the walk was along The South Downs Way until we turned off
for lunch in The Royal Oak, better known as Alfie's to the older generation!
Spotted skylarks, buzzards, one fleeing red kite and a soaring glider.
John Russell, the oldest son of Bertrand Russell (who lived at nearby Telegraph House), as a boy walked down to the pub to escape from the pressure of the high expectations that his philosopher father had for him. When ‘called-up’ for military service he was a ‘Bevan boy’, becoming a coal miner. This undermined his already delicate health, and he convalesced for quite some time with Alf and Carrie, who treated him like the son they never had. (thanks to www.chichestersociety.org.uk}
Thanks Den for a nice walk from Rogate up to Tullecombe. Large numbers of singing skylarks at the start of the walk.
We went past the Mountain Bike track and followed the Serpents Trail to an excellent lunch in the Jolly Drover at Hillbrow.
Rain tried hard to stay away but failed on several occasions. It even turned to sleet for a minute!
Return via Rogate Commom.
The Jolly Drover pub was built in 1844 by a drover, Mr Knowles, to offer cheer and sustenance to other drovers on the old London road.