Isabel led the walk and we met up in the layby on the A272 just South of Rogate. We walked up the old sunken path, crossed over Fyning Lane, and carried on until we reached the Fyning Hill Estate. We walked through Rondle Wood and then Bordon Wood and then walked through the asparagus fields, admiring the views of the South Downs as we walked. We passed Cumbers Farm and walked along Cumbers Lane, admiring the alpacas on route. After crossing the A272, we passed Terwick Church, although we were unable to see it as it was shrouded with scaffolding. Pauline managed to find one or two solitary lupin flowers, but we need to revisit the field to see them when they are all flowering. The field is now owned by the National Trust on condition that they continue to have lupins growing there. It was lovely to have the sun and no rain, a very enjoyable walk.
Lovely day for a walk
South Downs in the background.
Footpath through the asparagus field
Harvesting the asparagus
Terwick Church under repair
Lupins at Terwick just beginning to show their heads
Walkers, on hearing Isabel may be away next week.
This walk started at the Cowdray Cafe in Easebourne where we welcomed 2 guest walkers, Maurice and Celina. We also bumped into Peter's walking group who again had chosen the same start point as us. After skirting the golf course we turned down towards Moor Farm crossing the River Rother at Ambersham Bridge and we were fortunate to find some logs so that we could stop for a coffee. Suitably refreshed we managed to skirt a huge pile of manure that obliterated the footpath before reaching the Selham Road, where we soon turned south to Todham Rough. A walk through the woods took us to the road to the Kennels Dairy (New Lipchis Way). From there it was an easy path past Cowdray Castle to reach Cowdray Cafe which was unfortunately busy when we got there. A pleasant walk of about 5 miles.
Best foot forward above Cowdray House ruins.
Part of an avenue of lime trees
Admiring the Lime trees in Lime Bottom. They were there in 1795.
A mighty sweet chestnut at the entrance to Moor Farm
There's a happy chappy!
A mighty chestnut
Pretty as a picture, to Moor Farm.
Moor Farm in the distance
Tramping through the barley.
Polo fields and Cowdray ruins from the road to Easebourne
Peters walk started from Cowdray Cafe a little earlier than the other group. By a series of clever diversions the two groups never met, even though the route was much the same, with Moor Farm, Kennels Dairy and the lower reaches of St Ann's hill all being part of a common route. Finally reaching Cowdray Cafe , they cleverly opted for the quicker service at The Royal Oak.
Magnificent Cowdray House ruins, burnt down in 1793. Someone called Guy Fawkes did work there beforehand, but not believed to be implicated
Silene dioica, known as red campion and red catchfly, (we think!)
In amongst the barley
Nice weather all morning.